Helpful hints in eradicating mould in your home
Spores are small, often incognito little gremlins that can grow from one to many in a very short amount of time. They can remain invisible for months or even years, but if they are left alone, they can slowly take over your house and effect your family's health. So, what should you do when you buy a home and need to identify where evil little spores are lurking?
Energy-efficiency expert and scientist Jenny Edwards from Light House Architecture and Science has discovered some mould precautions tips specifically for Canberra.
The best way to get rid of mould is using white vinegar and a microfibre cloth.
1) Don't block off air ways
In the winter months it is easy to close the blinds early and lock in the heat from the heater. However, doing this will create a petri dish of mould in your room, especially bathrooms. Edwards suggests that you should always install a new extractor fan in the bathroom if you buy an older home. It will stop the moisture from growing spores. Handy hint: Keep the extractor fan on after you leave the shower because it needs time to work.
2) Try not to dry your clothes inside
Sometimes drying your clothes inside is unavoidable. However, if there is a ray of sunshine outside and a slight breeze, try and let your garments blow in the wind. Wet clothes drying inside will increase the moisture in the air and lead to condensation. Condensation, of course, grows the mould and that is what we are trying to avoid.
Don't let mould take over your family's happy and healthy home
3) What to do if your house already has mould.
You can be super cautious and attentive but mould can still creep through the cracks. So, if you do discover mould that you missed upon execution, here is what you do.
CEO for Mycology Dr Heike Neumeister-Kemp said that the best way to get rid of mould is using white vinegar and a microfibre cloth. If there is a huge amount of mould that you can't reach, then the last resort would be to use a dehumidifier to attack the buildup of moisture.
If you buy a home that is a little old, make sure your building inspector checks for any mould. It can make the difference if you want to live a happy and healthy life in your new home.